Monday, May 14, 2007

Interview with Richard Stearns, Pres. of World Vision

Guy Kawasaki posted on his blog an interview with Richard Stearns, President of World Vision. You can find it here.

Its a fascinating interview and look into the heart of World Vision. Go read the interview today, especially if you sponsor a child.

A few points that stuck out to me:

When asked about why he left his successful corporate job to be president of World Vision, here is Stearns answer...

It wasn't something I planned. At the time, I didn't even want the job. I had been a donor to World Vision for fifteen years when, through a long series of circumstances, I was approached by World Vision, interviewed and offered the position. As a committed Christian, I felt I couldn't say no. When God gives you an opportunity to serve, you obey. I had "talked the talk" of being a Christian for many years, now I needed to "walk the walk." It has turned out to be the greatest privilege of my life to serve the poorest of the poor in Christ's name.

This Q/A caught my eye, too.
Question: What's the biggest obstacle to get rich people to care about poor people?

Answer: The obstacle is that poverty is often not personal. If your next-door neighbor's child was dying and you could save her for $100, you wouldn't think twice. But a child 10,000 miles away whom you have never met, that's just different.

About 29,000 kids die every day of preventable causes--29,000! These kids have names and faces, hopes and dreams. Their parents love them as much as we love our kids. We've got to make poverty personal. Stalin once said: "A million deaths is a statistic, one death is a tragedy." We must try to see the face of the one child.


I'm going to pass this on to the students and others I know who either support a child through World Vision or are thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment