Monday, December 21, 2009

Best of '09: Books

The year 2009 A.D. is almost over. The past 12 months have brought with them many new things; some good, some bad, and some not worth mentioning. I would like to take some time and highlight some of my favorite parts of 2009. I will call this list the "best of '09" - which simply means that, in my opinion, these are the best items in a certain category. I fully expect you to disagree with some of my choices or to be upset I did not add other items to the list. If you feel this way, please add your "best of '09" ideas in the comments.

The third list will be books, any book not fitting in the youth ministry category. These are the best books I read this year. Like the youth ministry books, they may not all be new in 2009, but this was the year I got around to reading them. This list is in no particular order and will not include every good book I read this year, just a list of my top reads - the ones I think you would benefit from reading.


Culture Making by Andy Crouch - I really enjoyed this book. It challenged me to think differently about my role in culture and how I need to live differently to make a bigger impact. This is a must read! Here is my review of Culture Making from earlier this year.

Storylines by Andy Croft and Mike Pilavachi - I picked up the non-American version of the book (ie. original published with "crazy spelling") and am so glad I did. This book takes a look at some of the major themes that run through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Here is my review of Storylines from earlier this year.

Called to Worship by Vernon Whaley - This is a pretty thick book and will take a little while to read, but it is well worth your time. The book takes a look at worship in every section of Scripture, sometimes book by book. I highly recommend you read this book. Here is my review of Called to Worship from earlier this year.

Simply Christian by N.T. Wright - I've had this book for a few years and finally got around to reading it this year. A truly, thought-provoking book, filled with in-depth insight and observations. Here is my review of Simply Christian from earlier this year.

Fresh Start by Doug Fields - This book is full of great insight into what it takes to make a fresh start in your life. It is a pretty easy read and would be a great addition to your reading list. Here is my review of Fresh Start from earlier this year.

Treasured by Leigh McLeroy - This has to be the surprise book of the year for me. I did not expect much out of it, but I was completely wrong! A few of the first chapters really stood out to me and helped bring a fresh light to some of my life circumstances. You will want to put this on your reading list for 2010. Here is my review of Treasured from earlier this year.


Like the music and youth ministry book lists, there are some items not on this list that were big this year. Some of them (like Outliers by Gladwell) I want to read, but just haven't. Add your favorite books from 2009 in the comments and let us know what books we need to pick up and read.


Other posts in this series:
Best of '09 - Music
Best of '09 - Youth Ministry Books
Best of '09 - Non-Ministry Books
Best of '09 - Websites used
Best of '09 - Blog posts
Best of '09 - Web Apps
Best of '09 - Ministry Moments
Best of '09 - Random Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment