Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Commitment & Love

All around the world, yesterday was Christmas. At my grandparent's house it was more. It was their 65th wedding anniversary. WOW! 65 years. I remember going to their 50th anniversary party when I was 14 (okay, so its not the clearest memories, but I do remember it).

As a youth minister, I am exposed to all sorts of family structures. I do not know the percentages, but it seems like a lot more of the students come from a broken family. Even some of the families I've known over the years are not separated or divorced. It seems like to some, staying married is not as strong of a desire as it was a few generations ago. Sometimes I get discouraged when I see all of the pain and brokenness that broken families can produce.

I have see some great people come from broken families, but I always wonder what could have been for the others (who do not adjust as well). Yesterday I was reminded that it is possible to stay married for the long haul.

So, there I was with an example of commitment and love standing in front of me. They have been in front of me for years, and each year the example grows stronger and stronger. You should just hear them talk about each other or reminisce about their wedding or just talk about their memories of the other - it is an honor to be a part of it all. Honestly, I do not remember anything but my grandparents being together and living in the same house they live in today. The impact is not new, I've always told people I wanted to grow up to be like my grandparents. I admire them in so many ways - not the least of which is their longevity in marriage. I pray Amy and I have a good 60 years (and more) of life together ahead of us.

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." Gen. 2.24

No comments:

Post a Comment