Wednesday, August 29, 2007

small town trust

Last night, I got a glimpse of the beauty of small town trust. I took the boys to Dollar General to pick up a few items. While there, we ran into someone from the church (I know, shocking in a town of 2000 that I would see someone I know). After talking for a little bit, we went back to getting our last item. When we walked to the checkout I saw some hamburger buns in a bag. So I asked if someone how left them after paying for them. The two ladies said "yeah, I think it was that lady." Neither one knew her (which was strange for a small town). I asked if it was the lady with the young boy (this being the women I knew). "I think so," was the answer I got.

I told them that I knew her and could get the hamburger buns to her. Keep in mind, neither of these ladies really know me. The cashier looked at me and asked if I wanted to do that. I said that I would. She then said, "Okay, and I guess if this is not hers you can bring it back tomorrow."

She trusted me to do one of two things: 1. contact the lady and see if she left the buns in the store. 2. return them to her or the store

Turns out the lady did leave them, but told me to keep them.

Is there anywhere in your town where they would trust you to do something like this? Do you trust people this way? Do we (in the church) trust people this much? Can we in today's culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment