Monday, March 03, 2008

Reflections on: funerals

This past week, I attended two funerals in as many days. (there was another one that I was unable to attend this week, too) Before these two, the last funeral I was at was for my grandma a few months ago. With these funerals fresh in my mind, I have a few reflections I thought I would share.

Some reflections on funerals:

  1. Words are difficult to come by.
  2. You can tell a lot about a person's life at their funeral.
  3. The loss of a loved one equals deep pain.
  4. Even when you know your loved one is in a better place (Heaven), your joy for them is mixed with the pain of missing them.
  5. Both funerals this week used Pr. 31 - I don't usually hear that passage at a funeral.
  6. More comfort comes from God's Words than from anything a person can say.
  7. Just being there is enough. One thing I experienced at my grandma's funeral was the power of presence (God's and those you love)
  8. I don't remember much, if anything, of the message spoken at my grandma's funeral. And I'm ok with that.
  9. Funerals, and the loss of a loved one, help remind us of the important things in life (God, family, friends)
  10. As much as a funeral represents an end of a person's life on earth; it is much more a beginning of a life eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment