Tuesday, June 12, 2007

5 reasons I am a youth minister

The last few days I have had the opportunity to talk with friends about why I am in ministry. I've also been able to listen as a few of my friends are really struggling right now in their churches; some being asked to leave, some being asked to leave without actually saying those words, and some just not wanting to fight the battles anymore.

Along with these conversations, I've been reminded that this week is the one year anniversary of starting ministry here. I have been doing a lot of thinking as to why I am in ministry and why I want to stay in ministry. I thought I would share 5 of the reasons I am in youth ministry with you.

1. God's calling. I truly believe God has called me to ministry and there is nothing else I want to do. No other job allows me to feel at peace at the end of each day.

2. Teens are hurting. It seems like everyday I am reminded of the hurt and pain that thrives among teenagers. They need the hope of Jesus Christ.

3. Life Change. There is no other job that allows you to watch life change happen so closely. Watching one student's life transformed can make all the "junk" worth it.

4. It's indescribable. There are some parts of youth minstry that cannot be described in words. It is tough to explain to someone why I want enjoy spending days or weeks with teenagers. There are times I talk to another youth minister and start to talk about an aspect and they just understand, because they have been there.

5. Ah-ha moments. Whether it is a Sunday School class, small group, camp, conference, retreat or just hanging out there is nothing better than watching a teenager "get it." Being able to watch when a truth clicks and becomes real is a pure joy.

Why are you in youth ministry? What is it that keeps you from running away and working at an insurance company?

No comments:

Post a Comment