Thursday, October 18, 2007

Going back to high school

Today, we are back in our hometown for a few days. The main purpose of the trip is our (Amy and I) 10 year high school class reunion. We didn't go to the 5 year (being 13 hours away we didn't think it worth the trip). We're looking forward to seeing our classmates again, for the most part.

I feel like we're going back to high school, though. I know everyone has probably changed - I know Amy and I have. But I'm still a little nervous about the whole thing. I have not talked to anyone from high school (sans my wife) since high school, except for some online communication through myspace and facebook. Due to this lack of communication, I've got a few questions...

1. Will there be the same cliques/groups?
2. Will it be just a "look at where I'm at..." night of comparison?
3. Who will be there and who won't?
4. What surprises will there be?
5. Will I have anything in common with my classmates?
6. Will we have more in common now than in high school?
7. How many people have actually moved away?
8. What kind of emotions will be stirred up when I see certain people?

We are both looking forward to the reunion, but are a little curious as to what will happen. The reunion is supposed to last 5 hours, we'll see how long we stay :) I think Amy and I are hoping to just be able to talk to old friends and share about where our life is and where it has been. To be able to share God's love.

What have your high school reunions been like?

2 comments:

  1. I just had my 10 year reunion a couple months ago. I was kinda nervous about it also but it turned out to be a good experience. One of my biggest concerns was for my wife; we didn't go to the same high school. Thankfully, she works with one of my old classmates so they hung out all night. I was pleasantly surprised by how much everyone interacted. The cliques did kind of hang out but it wasn't exclusive like high school. For the most part I was sad for a lot of them. Most were drinking and smoking but really didn't seem happy. I hope they looked at me and saw me not doing that stuff and that I was very happy with my life and the decisions I've made, especially the decision to follow Christ. There was another couple there that are youth ministers in the area and they didn't interact a lot with the rest but hung out in there own little group. It was sad because they could have been a light to someone in need but they didn't want to socialize with the 'drinkers'. So get out there mingle, show them you don't have to be stuffy to be a Christian! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe for the words of advice/encouragement. The reunion was nice. I got to see a few old friends and talk to some classmates that I didn't talk to much in high school. It was kinda funny how much some of us remembered about little stuff from high school (sometimes it was scary). We def. didn't just sit around at our own table. I will note that there were a few times a conversation came to a quick halt when the question was asked, "What do you do?" On the other side, there were a handful of people who were pretty interested in finding out what I do as a YM and about the church. Turned out to be a good mix of reactions.

    ReplyDelete