Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fatherhood: from 2 perspectives

Fatherhood. Its such a great word. Its also a scary word. For me, fatherhood represents the highest form of accountability and responsibility. As a father, you have a big job description.

A few of the duties included with fatherhood;
- teaching your children about God
- teaching your children about life
- being an example of being a man
- teaching your children about how to treat others (esp. women) with respect
- modeling a humble faith in God as Lord and Savior
- loving your children

Most men learn a majority of what they know about being a dad from their father. I am one of those men; my dad has taught me many things about fatherhood.

5 Fatherhood lessons learned from my dad:
1. Pray for your children. Pray often and specific.
2. Teach your children to appreciate and know God's Word.
3. Spend time with your children playing sports.
4. You do not have to have all the answers to be a great dad.
5. Even dads need to say "I'm sorry" sometimes.

The second place I learn about fatherhood includs hands-on training. I'm learning about being a dad from being a dad.

5 Fatherhood lessons learned from my children:
1. It is worth a project taking longer when you let your children help you.
2. Your children are a certain age, treat them like such. (don't expect them to be 13, when they are 8. Don't talk to them like their 4 when they are 15)
3. Model how you want your children to live, because they are watching you. And they will repeat what you do.
4. Celebrate accomplishments and milestones, no matter how small they seem to you.
5. Flexibility is part of the job.


As a dad, I'm striving to be better. Every day I learn something new. One thing I try to do with my boys is make them feel special every day. I want them to grow up knowing how much they mean to me (and Amy). But even beyond that, I want them to know that God loves them more than I ever could. Being a dad is a huge responsibility, but its an even bigger honor. God has blessed men with the privilege of leading their family. Being able to help shape a child's view of the world, of God, of family, of love - now that's something you shouldn't take lightly.

What are some lessons you've learned about fatherhood? If you're a wife/mom, what advice would you give to fathers?

No comments:

Post a Comment