Monday, November 26, 2007

Jr. Highers say the funniest things

A very jr. high fashion to start a small group discussion:


Me: What is the earliest memory you have?

Girl #1: What do you mean earliest? Like today or when I was a kid?

Girl #2: I don't understand what you mean by earliest.

Me: (start to laugh and put my face in my hands)

Girl #1: Do you mean since we started this small group? I had cereal when we got here today, is that what you mean?

Girl #3: No, that is not what he is talking about.

Girl #1: Do you mean when I was a baby? I have watched video of me as a baby, is that what you want?

Girl #4: I don't understand what you are asking.

Girl #1: What do you mean 'earliest'?

Girl #3: He means what is one of the first things you remember.

Girl #1: Today?

Me: What is one of the first things you can remember? What is one of your earliest memories from childhood? This is not based on something you have seen on video, but something you remember without the aid of technology or storytelling by a family member.

Girls #1,2,4: I still don't get it.



My wife summed up the greatness of this conversation from another room by adding this; "I wish I could videotape this and show it to you in two years." The changes over the next few years will be great and seem extreme. Right now, the conversation was real, honest and hilarious (to me and others in the room). In a few years, the conversation will be real, honest and embarrassing for the students. They'll say they were never that immature.


One of the girls also felt the need to explain to me that her grandma is her mom's mom. It was funny, but makes sense because she was comparing that to her dad's mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment