Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Cookout with Middle Schoolers

Last night we had our annual "beginning of school year" cookout for the middle school. It was a great night. Its always fun to watch the interaction and connecting that takes place when you get teens together in your house for no reason but to eat :)

The funniest part of the evening came at the beginning. Before we were supposed to start, it began to look like it would rain. So being the thoughtful youth minister I am, I thought I would start the burgers and dogs early and finish before the rain hit. Oh, boy was I wrong. I did not even get all the burgers on the grill before it started to rain. But I knew it wasn't going to rain hard or for that long. So I started grilling and went inside. Well, it started raining a little harder, so I had to start using an umbrella to protect the grill from all the rain. I was doing pretty good. Then it happened...downpour. It was so bad that I had to ask one of the teens to come hold the umbrella for me so that I could get the burgers off the grill and into the house. I got wet (even to have to change), but he got soaked. I think when he left 2 hours later he was still wet. It was so crazy. (not to mention the fact it stopped raining just minutes after we got inside).

Another great story to use during some lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mike!

    How ya doing??

    Thanks for sending me these links... Love all the photos!

    --- Doug

    ReplyDelete