Tuesday, August 16, 2005

raising of Lazarus and my life

The other day I was reading John 11 where Lazarus dies. I began to talk to God about my faith. What would I have said to Jesus? What would I have been thinking/feeling?

In the story, Lazarus becomes sick and Jesus finds out, but He does nothing. In fact, Jesus waits for 4 days before going to see him. When Jesus arrives, both Mary and Martha (Lazarus’ sisters) tell Jesus that if He had been there their brother would still be alive. Jesus says that He is glad He was not there, so that through the raising of Lazarus the people would believe.

How many times have I said “if only…” or “oh great, now its too late.” Jesus could have healed Lazarus without even going to see him (see John 4). Mary and Martha knew that Jesus could do miraculous things, but they were not confident once the events seemed final. I think I am quick to want God to fix things or work in my life before the “end” comes. Maybe the “end” is a divorce in your family, death of a loved one, losing a job, not being able to pay a bill, having students graduate without accepting Jesus as Savior.

In my life, I want God to work before things get real hard. I sometimes think that if I have faith then I won’t have to go through the tough situation. Well, you know what – it does not always work that way.

As we see in the resurrection of Lazarus, God knows the best timing. He knows the answer before we even know we have a problem. Who am I to request of God an answer before I am ready for it.

Maybe, just maybe, we all need to experience the “end” before we truly appreciate the “afterward.”

No comments:

Post a Comment