Saturday, March 17, 2007

former student and myspace (update)

this past week I was on myspace looking at some of my former students' pages. While on one of them I decided to send the student a message just checking up with them. They seem to be getting more and more involved with gangs and there is not much I can do from 10 hours away. So I wanted to let him know I was thinking about him. I asked him how his relationship with God was lately. The next day I signed in and saw that I had less friends than the day before. He had deleted me from his friends. Which I guess answers my question.

But wow. He is avoiding any conversation about God. I don't think I've ever had something like this happen before. I am still a little shocked by the whole thing. Praying that he doesn't lose sight of God.

How can I connect with him from so far away? Or should I talk to the current youth minister and let him know what is going on?

UPDATE: I have also been dropped by his brother. Man, that is frustrating to see students slide as they are and not be close.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's rough. I'm not sure what you should do either except pray and commit them into the Lord's care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've tried contacting the guy who is the part-time youth minister at the church now. I'm hoping to be able to help, in some way, from so far away.

    Obviously, my concern is not with the Myspace friend thing, but with the fact they are becoming increasingly involved with gangs.

    ReplyDelete