Monday, March 05, 2007

Meetings

Last night, we had an event planning meeting. Before I get to the meeting, just allow me to share this comment from my 2 year old. At dinner we were talking about how we were going to church early because there was a meeting.

His response: "I don't like meetings, I'd rather stay home."

Well said.

Despite my uneasiness at what would happen at the meeting (ie. productivity, just a lot of talking, absolutely nothing), I was presently surprised. We were able to get a good bit accomplished and came up with some good ideas, I think.

We got the ball rolling on an upcoming youth rally we are putting together. I think it will be a good evening. There are a few things we are going to try to do that are going to draw attention (nothing negative) from area students (I hope). I am a little afraid some of the adults are wanting to pigeon hole the night and only "realize/focus" on a few issues. Almost like if we focus on say drinking for a night, then that will fix the kids. Don't get me wrong, these issues need to be discussed. But I'm afraid its far to easy to work on behavior management and forget about the lasting effects of building a relationship with God.

The second planning event was a senior banquet. Nothing new or original there, I know. But its never been done at this church and I think it is something we need to do. A "right of passage" type of event for the seniors. This planning actually blew me away. What I had in my head as something we could do got completely blown out of the water and expanded. The ideas we have now are going to be awesome. The banquet is (if things go how we talked) going to be a very special and memorable night for everyone.

I was encouraged by the ability of the group to feed off each other. This was the first such meeting we have had at this church and the first one I've been involved with in a long time.

My faith in the ability of meetings to be useful is up a point or two after last night.

Also, Nathan (my 2 year old) has a new outlook on meetings too. He got to play with a few friends during our meeting. Not just play in a room, but they got to take the ride-on toys and ride around the church, which he thought was so cool. So, he's ready to go back for more meetings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment