Monday, May 07, 2007

Small Town YM: Prom

The first installment of Small Town Youth Ministry is about Prom (since it is Prom season and they just had it last week here).

Personal Disclaimer: the only dance I went to in high school was my senior prom. (sad, I know)

Small Town vs. Non-small Town

Same:
1. Students get all dressed up.
2. The female teenagers spend way too much time tanning.
3. It seems a lot of money is spent on dresses and tuxes.
4. There are probably over 1,000 pictures taken.
5. There is an after prom event.
6. It is the talk of the town (esp. among students) for weeks preceding.
7. Modesty is not always the case.

Different:
1. Prom Parade. This is where all the couples line up in the parking lot in parade form. Each car (or farm equipment, not completely kidding) then drives up the the front door where they get out and are announced to the crowd. They get a picture taken in front of a backdrop. Some of the students remain outside waiting and watching the rest of the parade.
2. People, from the community, actually show up to watch. And its not short, 1 hr. 15 min. long this year.
3. I think a prom parade is enough difference.

Neutral/Specific to this church:
1. Students wear their prom outfits to church the next morning. (Note, this made my polo and khakis look really casual)

So, how do you deal with prom in your congregation? One church in the area hosts a Prom alternative each year. I'm not too big on prom alternatives myself. I don't necessarily want to teach the students to be in a little "christian bubble" and avoid anything outside of the bubble. But if the alternative is for those students who won't go to prom (ie. me in high school) then its a great way to get students involved with your ministry.

One thing I did not do was to bring special attention to the prom attenders at church. Since there were students who didn't go, I avoided drawing extra attention to those who did and making it seem like they were better. In my church it was obvious who went (they were the really dressed up teenagers), so I didn't need to point it out. Yeah, its a special dance, but that is all it is - a dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment