Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Why ministers go to church

Tim posted a week or so back about why students go to church. It got me thinking about some stuff, mainly why do ministers go to church. Really, why do I (a youth minister) get up each Sunday and go to church, and Sunday night (or Wed. night for some) not to mention the other stuff. I've got some thoughts...

1. You get paid to be there.
2. Despite all the students who are apathetic, its those other few that keep us going.
3. One of your own children is in the group and that would be just too awkward at the dinner table.
4. God has called you and gifted you to reach students, and there is no way you can do anything else(and still sleep at night).
5. It's better than watching a televangelist.
6. You want everyone to think you are doing great.
7. The teens all think you're cool and you don't want to disappoint.


If you're a minister, why do you go to church? If you are not a minister, why do you think we go to church?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honesty there. I agree with all of your suggestions. I also go out of habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've gone out of habit a lot in the past, esp. when things were not going "great" at the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your site and wanted to say that I am thoroughly enjoying shuffling through the archives :)

    About this post- it does make me think about something that maybe I've done thoughtlessly for years now. Personally, I go to church because I feel drawn by something greater than myself to pour my own love and knowledge into young people. Is it a typical answer? You bet. Does it still ring true- absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I hope you find some info that will be useful, encouraging, or just helps you laugh.

    I think that reason for going to church is one of the reasons we should be going. If you don't feel that (at least once in a while) then it really begins to show.

    ReplyDelete