Monday, October 13, 2008

Reflections on: turning 30

Today I turn 30. As I transition from being a young 20-something into a wiser 30-something, I have been looking back over my first 30 years and reflecting. I thought I might share some of those reflections with you...

Random Reflections:
1. I'm actually having trouble remembering what life was like when I turned 20.
2. When I was in high school, I thought it would take forever to get to 30.
3. I have friends who I've known over half my life. Wow!
4. I wonder what my parents are feeling, as their baby turns 30.
5. I still wear some of the same shirts I did when I was in college. (that was tough to admit)
6. How fast can my hair really recede?
7. I still have my baseball card collection from childhood and I haven't looked at any of them in years.
8. There are some special memories that only grow stronger with time.
9. You know you are getting old when you start using phrases like, "When I was in high school..."
10. When I was in high school, I only used the computer for playing games and writing papers.
11. When I was in high school, none of my friends had email or a cell phone.

Reflections on Parenting/Marriage:
12. When I was in high school, I started dating my wife. (never have figured out why she went out with me in the first place)
13. I have 3 kids already - Wow!
14. Though I do not feel much smarter this year, I like to think I'm a little wiser.
15. I have a huge responsibility to teach my boys to be godly men.
16. My daughter needs a dad who is a great example of a godly man, too.
17. I love my wife more today than when we got married (in '01). And back then I did not think that was possible.
18. As a husband, I continue to make some of the same mistakes over and over. Will I learn?
19. I see a lot of myself in my kids. Some good and some bad. I need to be mindful of those actions/attitudes I want to model for them.
20. I have passed on to my boys an ability to live through pain and disappointment - they are Cubs fans.
21. I love to capture "life moments" with my camera. I'm hoping that I don't mess up my kids by taking their picture all the time.
22. I am married to the most wonderful woman in the world.

lessons I've learned:
23. After 7 years in youth ministry, I still love it.
24. Being a father has changed the way I minister to students, at least on some level.
25. As my family grows, I have had to adjust how I do ministry. Especially as I do not get to minister alongside my wife as much as I used to.
26. People tend to respect you when you are older (for no other reason than you are older).
27. Be wise with your money when you first get married, even if it is just the two of you and you both are working. I am thankful for the financial decisions we made at the beginning of our marriage, they have truly affected our financial situation today.
28. I have a lot to learn from other people and if I ignore the advice I will only hurt myself.
29. I believe humility is just as important in my life today as it was when I was a young punk. ("young punk" - if that doesn't make me sound old I don't know what will)
30. No matter what my age, I need to trust and rely on God.
31. God is always faithful. I have learned this lesson in some big ways. No matter how big the negative situation seems, God has (and is) always been bigger and able to bring me through.

I could not stop at 30, it just seemed too cheesy to me.

I hoping that I can learn a whole bunch more over the next 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment