Tuesday, January 30, 2007

D x V x F > R

On Sunday, during the message, the sr. minister was talking about having a heart for God. In the middle of the message he added the equation (see title) he heard from an Upward Basketball Coaches meeting the day before. And its been in my mind since. I'm struggling with applying it to the youth ministry (as well as my own personal life :)).

So, what does it mean?

D(esire) x V(ision) x F(irst step) > R(estriction)

Desire times Vision times your first steps must be greater than the restrictions. When we want to do something, this is the equation we have to fill in to accomplish our goal. For example, if you want to start exercising you have to have a desire. Along with the desire to exercise you must have the vision of what it will look like once you have started. And you must take those first steps to exercising. All of these must be greater than the restrictions that keep you from exercising. If the first 3 are not great than your restrictions you will not accomplish your goal.

I am putting the pieces together in areas in my personal life that I want to change. As I have been thinking about it, I am saddened by the fact that it feels like the restrictions are far greater than the other 3. Why is that? Is it the constant struggle between flesh and spirit? Whatever it is I have been struggling with the why? Is it the desire, or vision or first step that is keeping me back?

Then I have also been trying to apply it to my ministry. As far as a way to think through stuff. For example, when it comes to youth coaches (volunteers) how can I make the restrictions lower? I don't think I can do much for the other 3, in someone else. So as a youth minister, my job is to make sure the restrictions are as low as they can be. This will help encourage that the other side of the equation is greater than the restrictions.

Thoughts? comments? ideas?

Please share. I am trying to think outloud with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment