Tuesday, January 30, 2007

girls basketball

Well, starting yesterday I am by myself for a few days. :( And I have no car. But that's okay, because I live in a small town and most everyone passes by my house when they are going to the school, so I get a ride from my sr. pastor.

Last night was a long night. I stayed at work til about 6ish. Then rode home and tried to get a quick bite for supper (its a lot harder to do "quick" meals when your wife doesn't get them ready beforehand). Needless to say, last night's supper was pretty low on the "let's make a good well balanced meal" and high on the "gotta eat quick and get to the game" level. Anyhow, I got to the game in the 3rd quarter of the JV.

Ok, lets talk about JV sports. Last night felt like watching a middle school game. Neither team was making any shots they took. There were so many turnovers that I lost track. Even a few from people just losing the dribble, while standing still. Now, I'm not trying to bring them down - because I don't think I would get out there (in fact I didn't when I was in high school). It just seemed to be a little worse than normal. So, the game ended up 28 to 25. We won, but not without trying to let them. They just could not make a shot.

The varsity game was a little different. For one, the ball handling was a lot better and the shooting was better (though there were still a few air balls, but don't we all do that). Halftime of the game, the score had already suppassed the JV game. The final was 56-39 - we won again. I think it was the first time all season both teams won the same night. It was also senior recognition.

For the first time this year I was able to stay for the whole game. I don't get to watch most of the varsity games due to the need to get the boys home and in bed. So since I was alone, I stayed for all the game (plus I knew I had to walk home and was avoiding that at all costs). One thing I was encouraged by last night was the coaches. They did not seem overly aggressive at the players. Yeah, they "encouraged" them to play better, but I never heard or saw any downgrading of the players. The coaches were very encouraging after the game and even during the game when certain calls were not made.

And the best part was being able to interact with students and parents/adults from the community. I think a lot of the students are getting used to seeing me and know who I am. I hope they know my concern for them and would feel comfortable coming to me if they ever need anything. Building relationships is the real reason I go to the games. To be honest, I would much rather stay home and spend time with family or read :) (well, most days)

Now, if I can just get more of the youth coaches to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment