Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Lessons from the Simpsons

Watching the Simpsons the other day I watched an episode called "Lisa's Sax" There was one particular footage that hit me as both funny and sad at the same time. On the show it was funny, the connection to reality was sad.

Episode basically was about telling how Lisa got her sax, after it was smashed. At one moment in the flashback we see Homer looking at a new air conditioner (due to a heatwave hitting Springfield and the Simpson's air conditioner being broken). Meanwhile Lisa has crossed the street standing in front of a music store admiring the instruments. Earlier in the show we see a shrink tell Homer and Marge that Lisa has a gift and it has to be encouraged. So, while standing in front of the store, Homer says something like "musical instruments, is that a way to encourage a gifted child?" Then looking up he says "just give me a sign." Right then the store owner places a sign in the front window that says "musical instruments: encourage a gifted child." Homer "that works for me."

As I watched it, I was struck by how true that is. How many people, when searching for a "sign" from God, want to have things written out in the exact words we want?

I don't think God gives us signs like that. When we want to know if "Bob" is the right guy for me to marry (its just an example) don't we ask for a "sign" from God. Like Bob's name is written in your cereal or you hear his name on the radio a lot. We try to find signs we want to see.

As a youth minister, how can I teach the students to listen to God's voice (without speaking for Him)?

No comments:

Post a Comment