Tuesday, February 27, 2007

God vs. God's gifts

What is more important to us, God or the gifts God has given us?

Initially the easy response is God. Which I believe is what God desires of us. God should be #1 above everything else. Sure, I put Him above playing golf in high school. I can put Him before watching TV or spending time on the computer. Those are areas where we need to have God as more important. But I don't think it is always that easy.

I was reminded today, at the Senior Bible Study, of Abraham's near sacrifice of Isaac. Where did Abraham place God, more or less important than the promise God had given to him? There was nothing Abraham would not have done for Isaac, until it came to a decision b/w Isaac and God. Abraham put God as more important.

What about Job? He didn't curse God after everything (everything) was taken away. He could have turned his back on God and complained. Job's response was to praise God for who He is. Job placed God about God's gifts to him.

The Shunammite woman in 2 Kings 4 was faced with this decision, too. Elisha told her of a son she would have and things are looking good. Then the gift is taken from her a short time (he was still a boy) later. Her gift was taken away.

What is more important to me? I want to be able to say God's gifts. I want to say I would place God above His gifts. Some of God's gifts are difficult to do that with: my boys, my wife, any of my senses, my close friends, my ministry.

A year and a half ago I think I faced this question and chose my ministry over God. Not that I was putting God out of my life, but I was putting the "safety" (what I thought was safety) of my ministry above what God was calling me to do.

Is God on the top of your list? Is He in the middle? Are there things that you would give up for Him and are there things you're not sure if you would?

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." (Job 1.21)

No comments:

Post a Comment