Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Senior Bible Study

Today was the first of a month long weekly Bible studies with the seniors. Not high school or college seniors, no the true seniors. You know, those people who have a lot of knowledge and life experience and yet seem to mostly go untapped. Yeah, I got the privilage of leading a Bible study for them.

I actually got called last Friday to lead every Tuesday this month. At first, I have to admit I was a little apprehensive and unsure. I guess its a little intimidating for me to try to lead a Bible study with people who have been in the Bible for many more years than I've been alive. But with the helpful words of my wife, I came to my senses and said I would lead it.

Last month they studied eternity, so that was out. I ended up deciding to do the book of James. And after today, I don't think we'll get through it all without either: having absolutely no conversation or putting it all down in "handouts". And who many seniors do you know that want more papers :)

Today, we got through the first 13 verses or so. It was good. I was nervous and felt underprepared, but I think it turned out ok. It was encouraging to hear their comments and discussion. A lot of the seniors have been through way more trials than I have and so it was good to hear from them about their experiences and how they have handled tough times. To hear how God has brought them through some really tough times, like loss of spouses and children. We also talked about how sometimes our trials are not huge, sometimes they are more minor. Even those trials are things we need to bring before God and learn from.

It was encouraging. One of the ladies told me that she had been meaning to tell me she really enjoyed the last time I preached (Dec. 31). I challenged the congregation to think of New Year's Day as just another Monday. That each day we should be making resolutions, not just once a year. I challenged them to wake up each morning and thank God for another day and then ask themselves (and God) how they could make a difference in their world today. I told them to try it for a week and see if it made a difference. She told me she's been doing that and it has made a big difference. That was nice to hear and encouraging to know that my preaching has been used to help someone grow closer to God.

1 comment: