Sunday, November 19, 2006

Guest Blogger

It's been overwhelming again. It happens every time. You pack thousands of youth workers in a room, you let them hang out, worship, laugh, contemplate, you remind them again that they are loved by God, that their calling to reach teenagers is legit, and it just gets to you.

The room we're in--a cold, gray, exhibit hall--has totally transformed. Whenever I walk in the doors I sort of want to cry. I don't know if it's the fact that I haven't slept more than five hours a night, or that I've been working 12+ hour days, or just a serious concentration of the holy spirit, (I think it's a little bit of all of those things) but there really is something thick in the room that just gets to you.

It's a privilege to be a part of this thing. I've worked for YS for 3 years now and these events are my favorite part. I wish that everyone could get the kind of encouragement that the youth workers get here at the convention. They came in broken, tired, confused and hurt, and their leaving energized, resolute, excited, and in the beginning stages of healing.

So cool. And like always I'm overwhelmed.

(This has been a guest blog by Glenn Murdock. I've had the pleasure of bossing Mike around in the bookstore at the National Youth Workers Convention for the last few days.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your work at the convention. It is as you describe. Unfortunately I was not able to attend this year. I am already looking forward to nexth. Definitely a highlight of my year!

    ReplyDelete